Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Tuesday Thoughts & Wishing You A Merry Christmas

Success is the Sum of Small Efforts

Inspiration often comes from the most unlikely sources. Sometimes, it's just a matter of slowing down and opening our eyes to see it amongst the busyness of everyday life. Yesterday, I walked into a room of one of our new skilled rehab patients to conduct my standard assessment interview. This so happens to be an individual I've met and talked with in the past. The resident is chair bound with limited mobility, but as soon as I walk in she lights up to greet me with a huge smile.

I ask her about her appetite. "I don't have one at all, but I eat because I know it will make me stronger." Then, I ask about her progression in therapy. She tells me how every day she pushes herself to try something new. "Today," she said, "was a milestone for me," and she proceeds to show me as she stretches her arms together overhead. "Yesterday, I could not do this, and today I can." It was something so simple that I am able to do daily with ease, and here she was SO proud and glowing with excitement regarding her progress.

The moment warmed my heart, and though I was having a rough morning, I left with a refreshed perspective. Here was this sweet lady, comparative to most standards had so little to work with sitting in that chair, yet she had a joyful heart and looked for ways to push herself beyond her comfort zone. In the face of so many obstacles, she is keeping this attitude of hope, perseverance and progress. Little steps in the right direction. While many of my goals and efforts are centered around race outcomes and career objectives, here she was working to build up the strength to go home, one milestone at a time.


Gifts of Lasting Impact

This Christmas will be a little different than years past: It will be just the two of us, I will be working, and most of the gifts have already been exchanged. I will be spending my time serving residents so that they may fully enjoy the gift of the day. Some will have family visiting to celebrate with them, and for others, we are their family.  In that, I am thankful for the reminder of how each day we have the opportunity to give of ourselves and be a blessing to others. Often, it's not gifts that require wrapping that bring the most joy, but perhaps the more simpler things in life: words of encouragement, a warm embrace, or a sincere smile that says "you are special to me."



Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays from the Changs


<3 Jordan, Kristen & Kenya

1 comment:

Follow by Email