Monday, October 13, 2014

That's a WRAP!!



When it comes to (peak) Ironman training, I am done, done annnnnnd DONE!

Hellloooo taper... Where have you been all my life?!?

It has been a fun, rewarding, yet ultimately challenging couple of weeks of peak ironman training. While I had been looking forward to it for quite some time, I honestly have to say the last 21 days of training have been without a doubt some the hardest of my life. Also, peak ironman training + 1 full time job + 1 part time job = crazy town USA. Somehow I have taken it all in stride and kept my marbles together... for the most part :) After taking the day off from work to complete my last long ride/brick last Wednesday (110 miles cycling + 2 miles running = a full work days' worth of training/prep) my body pretty much said "enough already." Can't say I blame it? After that it was 3 days of complete rest (coach's orders and I happily obliged) featuring a whole lot of sleeping, stretching, rolling, icing, eating and one awesomely-amazing but much-too-short massage.

But wait... I was not off the hook quite yet. Yesterday I did a local race, the Hokie Half Marathon, my last big "hurdle" to overcome. Though it was pouring rain at times and HURT a lot, it was sorta kinda a ton of fun (thanks coach for the suggestion!) Local races really are best, and I miss the simplicity of these types of races. All of my "special" needs were packed nicely into our commemorative drawstring backpack:

I DO love some Hokie themed race goods! (hat is my own)
Pic thanks to Ms. (soon-to-be Mrs.) Speedie Edie :) 
My husband and I both agree, a half marathon these days feels more like a 5k. Compared to some of my more recent training sessions, this thing was over in a flash!! Post-race we hung out only for a few minutes, enough time to grab some chili, chocolate and say hi to a few friends, then we jetted off to find warm, dry clothes and hit up our favorite restaurant for breakfast!!

Post-race: the rain obviously did not damper our smiles :D
So yea...When it comes to peak ironman training, I can now say "that's a wrap!" Yipee! To celebrate and as a bonus, I am sharing a favorite lunch of mine lately, a veggie-hummus wrap!


Veggie Hummus Wrap


This wrap has been a go-to meal for me over the past couple of weeks. Inspired by our cafe at work, it packs a powerful veggie punch with hummus for protein and the wrap providing complex carbs.


Ingredients

1 large spinach tortilla (wheat works also)
2 tbsp hummus of choice
1/4 avocado
Romaine lettuce or spinach
Tomatoes, diced
Cucumbers, sliced
Colorful bell peppers, sliced
Pepper, to taste


Directions

Spread your tortilla with hummus and slices of avocado. Sprinkle w/ pepper to taste. Lay down your lettuce or spinach, then add in your sliced veggies: stack'm up as desired! Wrap tightly and enjoy! Shazam. Quick, easy, delicious... my kind of on-the-go recipe for when life is crazy.

Happy Monday! Is it Friday yet???!

2 comments:

  1. Now I'm really, really impressed with your speedy time at the Hokie Half after such a hard workout on Wednesday! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Only 12 more days until you turn iron. It is a momentous occasion indeed. There's nothing else like Ironman training. and nobody knows exactly what it's like and what it does to your body and your emotions (not to mention your time-management skills) until you go through it. Enjoy the taper time. you earned it!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email