Friday, September 26, 2014

Recipe: "Boston Bound" Breakfast Burritos

It's funny how things change.

When I first made these burritos with my mother-in-law last weekend, my husband was quick to declare "I don't like burritos." That's ok. I was not offended... that just meant more for me  :)


A few days later, he was late for a run, hungry, and desperate for something quick to grab. Like a good wife, I opened the freezer and pulled out two of these burritos. Burrito fan or not, it was his best option at the time and he grabbed it before rushing out the door. A few hours later, he was exclaiming just how much he loved the burritos. Can I say "I told you so" ?

On a very different note, a year ago after a week of anxiety and waiting, I received a dreaded rejection email from the organizers of the Boston Marathon. Needless to say, I was majorly bummed.

This year has been a little different. I re-qualified back in March at the Shamrock Marathon and then quickly moved on. It's been a season of focusing on other things, new and different athletic goals with little thought put towards that next marathon. When the time finally came for me to register for Boston, I whipped out my credit card, filled out the form and since then have had little time to perseverate on when I might receive notification or whether or not I would get in. Long before I filled out that application, I was at peace with the outcome, whether the cards fell in my favor or not. And so I told myself, if Boston 2015 didn't work out for me, I would be okay and move on to pursue other athletic goals and Boston would be there again the next year. Perspective is everything.

Long story short, and if you haven't already guessed by the title of this post, I am happy to report that two days ago I received the following email:


FINALLY, after a long road of chasing that qualification standard, come spring 2015 I will be running the Boston Marathon!!!! I am excited... maybe not so much about the marathon training through the winter part... but pumped to finally have the opportunity to toe the line and experience all that running Boston has to offer. Better yet, I am excited to be joined by my lovely husband, who also received official entry, and my parents and sister, who will be cheering for us from the sidelines.

That being said, I am packing up that sentiment and setting it neatly aside for a few months from now. After Beach 2 Battleship and after enjoying a quality off-season, then I will refocus my thoughts and energy on Boston. One goal at time and I still have plenty of work ahead of me right now. I've waited on Boston, so now Boston will just have to wait on me!

So what does this all have to do with burritos? Not much really ... but the name "Boston Bound Breakfast Burritos" certainly has a nice ring to it :) I have to say though, these burritos are warm and gooey and would make for a great recovery snack, especially after a chilly long run!! They are easy to batch cook, freeze, and then pull out when you're in need of quick meal. And what busy athlete doesn't like the sound of a quick, healthy, delicious meal?




Ingredients (per burrito)

1 Whole wheat tortilla wrap
1/4 c. Sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 c. Salsa (I prefer Newman's Own Black Bean & Corn salsa)
1 Scrambled Egg... or 1/5th pkg Firm Tofu, scrambled

Directions

Preheat your oven to 400 F. Meanwhile, warm a pan over medium heat and prepare with cooking spray. Add your eggs (or tofu) and scramble. I used 1 egg per wrap or 1/5th package tofu per wrap. Lay out each of your tortillas on foil or parchment paper. Once cooked, add your eggs/tofu to each wrap. Top with approximately cheese & salsa. Fold each and wrap tightly in your foil/parchment paper. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown and the cheese melts. I like to unwrap and place back into the oven and broil for ~1 minute for the final step. Allow the wraps to cool before consuming. If you plan to save a few, allow them to cool thoroughly, wrap in foil (if not already) and place in the freezer. These make for a great grab n' go breakfast (lunch, dinner or snack)! Reheat frozen burritos for 1.5 - 2 minutes before consuming.



Happy Friday, Happy Training & Happy Fueling!




5 comments:

  1. Congrats on making it into Boston! Pre-made breakfast burritos would be perfect for keeping in the freezer for quick meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, They hold up really nicely in the freezer. Enjoy!!

      Delete
  2. You should have told Jordan they were cylindrical pop tarts ;-) We had a kid who didn't like lasagna till we told him it was pizza cake! Congrats on Boston!!!!! I'm excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great call on the cylindrical pop tarts!

      YEA! It should be a FUN time!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on Boston! I'm definitely going to have to try your burrito recipe. They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email