Monday, September 22, 2014

Caution: Ironchick in Training


I saw this t-shirt design while browsing the web (you can buy it here) and the sentiment feels appropriate. This is coming from the girl who took (count it!) THREE naps yesterday after logging my longest training sessions of the season on Friday/Saturday:

Friday night: 3600 yrds swimming (1hr 10min)
Saturday: 95 mile ride + 4.75 mile run (6 hrs 40min)

Let's do some math: that's just shy of 8hrs of training in approximately 24 hrs. And I am wondering why I can't keep my eyes open?

For the next 3 weeks, this will be my world. For the past year, I've been wondering what "ironman training" truly feels like. What do the workouts look like? How will it feel? And the best question: What in the world will I EAT?

YES, totally true. Healthy(ish) food and chocolate preferred =)
While the training and workouts seem pretty straight forward on paper, in reality, it's not. As I learned this weekend while zig-zagging my way through the beautiful countryside, getting from point A to B is not always a linear process. There will be ups and downs, patches of rough road and tons of other obstacles along the way (like getting stung by hornets or chased by dogs, as also happened during my long ride). Success realistically involves rolling with the hills, using any downhill momentum to your advantage, toughing out the harder stretches, having a sense of humor and realizing it's all a part of the package deal and adventure that is reaching the finish line successfully.


36 days and counting until race day.
21 days of "peak" ironman training ahead.

Time to find out what this "ironman training" is all about!

Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. You got off easy with an 8 hour weekend! Welcome to the peak phase. This is where the hard work starts, it's also the best part of the training plan. I like hard work. Get ready to see some gains that you never expected.

    and for sure, up your eats to astronomical levels. I totally leaned out eating 4000 calories a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! It for sure will be the most fun of all. I love to work hard, otherwise, I probably wouldn't have signed up for such an endeavor :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email