Saturday, August 2, 2014

Recipe: Spinach & Artichoke Pizza


Yesterday was my monthly Chef Stage Center at work. As I've mentioned in the past, I really enjoy the opportunity to spend my Friday morning hanging out in the kitchen (though I'm usually a bit pressed for time so it can be stressful) and sharing some of my favorite foods. This month, I shared my favorite pizza combination, spinach and artichoke, while also demonstrating how to make homemade basil pesto sauce!

The pizza turned out phenomenally if I must say :) and I am particularly thankful for the help of a dietetic intern in pulling it all together. She demo'd the making of the basil pesto and did an awesome job at that!


Spinach & Artichoke Pizza


Ingredients:
Pizza dough (homemade or store bought)
1 bag fresh spinach leaves
2-15oz cans artichoke hearts
6oz feta cheese
15oz bag mozzarella cheese
1 block Parmesan cheese
1 jar basil pesto sauce or 1 batch homemade basil pesto
Italian seasoning

Directions:
Roll out your dough to size on a freshly floured surface. Spread a layer of pesto across the pizza, then top with a layer of fresh spinach followed by a layer of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle on your artichoke hearts and feta cheese. Finally, garnish with some freshly grated Parmesan and dry Italian seasoning to taste. Bake a 375 F for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbly. Let cool before eating, unless you want to burn the roof of your mouth!


Spinach Basil Pesto Sauce


Ingredients:
4 cups fresh spinach leaves
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Salt, Pepper to taste

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Leftover pesto can be placed in ice cube trays and frozen for later!

Though I'm not a big pizza eater, when I do have some I prefer to make it from scratch with quality ingredients. Homemade pesto sauce is especially easy to create and store for later! Check out this cool infographic for more pesto inspiration:



Happy Weekend :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email