Tuesday, August 5, 2014

National Sister's Day 2014

Sunday, August 3rd was National Sister's Day! Did you know that? Actually, I didn't even realize it until the end of the day Sunday. Lucky me, I actually had the opportunity to spend a little quality time with my sister on Sunday, who currently resides in NOVA. The hubby and I stopped by to check out her new "crib" on our way back from a wedding in downtown Washington, D.C., and while there the two of us enjoyed a low-key training ride along the WO&D trail.

My sister, like me, got her start running early in life and is currently training for her first marathon this fall, the Richmond Marathon! She'll be running alongside my dad, just as I did in my first marathon. I too will be there as the official "cheer squad" and photographer. Gotta love family events! :D Athletic milestones are certainly all the more memorable when they are shared with family! In October, she will also be participating in the Baltimore Triathlon. Unsure of how to balance the two, I recently offered my assistance in tweaking her marathon training schedule to incorporate some swimming and biking cross training. After all, I did just stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently (I joke!!!)

Anyways, knowing that we'd be visiting my sister and that I had an easy ride on tap for the weekend, I hauled my bike all the way up to NOVA to join her for a ride...and I'm glad I did! It was a cool, yet gorgeous morning and we shared the trail with tons of other athletes and exercise enthusiasts. During our hour ride, I taught her a little more about riding more efficiently and we chatted about her marathon training progress. A day later, I found myself thinking about our high school cross country days, when we never could get along and would often body "check" or yell at each other during runs. Ahhh, yes, gotta love siblings...We've matured a little bit since then and this time there was no pushing or shoving around =P


This coming weekend, my sister is returning the favor and visiting us here in B'burg! While here, I've agreed to give her a little swim lesson and she'll also be racing a local triathlon, the TriAdventure Summer Sprint (and I will again be playing photographer).

And a few months from now, I'll be cheering from the sidelines as she runs the Richmond Marathon. I am so happy I can offer my support and encouragement as she pursues her own personal athletic goals. 

Dad, sister and I before the start of the 2012 Richmond Marathon, Half Marathon and 8k.

Go sis, go! Wishing you a happy (belated) National Sister's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email