Friday, July 18, 2014

Race Report: Colonial Beach International Triathlon

There are lessons to be learn and opportunities for growth with each race. As we were making our 5 hr trek last weekend towards the east coast for the Colonial Beach International Triathlon, the hubby asked me a pretty common pre-race question: "What is your goal?"

"Why do I have to have one?" I replied. Then I simply recited our ol' time VT Triathlon team motto:
"My goal is to survive the swim, beast the bike, and rock the run. Does that work?"

While I had some idea of what time range to expect to potentially finish, this was my first international distance triathlon in FIVE years. I had no clue what to expect of myself, nor did I care to set that sort of numerical expectation for myself in the form of a goal finish time. Rather, my goals for this race was to get out there and enjoy being a triathlete, get my feet wet in the racing scene again, race relaxed yet strong, enjoy the process and to gain a better idea of my current fitness level.

As we arrived at packet-pickup late Saturday evening (5 minutes to spare!), I realized we had traveled from one side of the country (Pacific coast, California) to the other side (almost...Potomac River, eastern shoreline of VA) within less than a week's time! Yikes! I knew I was still tired from our trip the previous weekend as I napped twice in the car, and napping these days is a rare occurrence. After getting my number and gear, I spent a good while chatting and catching up with friend (and wine-buddy) Janie before hitting the sack for bed.

A few pre-race sights and scenes.

I am thankful to another good friend, Jennifer, for the opportunity to race on a tri-specific bike for the first time. While I LOVE my road bike, I really struggle to stay aero with the geometry even with multiple adjustments for fit. Her bike fits me almost perfectly and I am able to ride comfortably aero for extended periods. I am so thankful for her willingness to share!


Race morning preparations were simple and relaxed. for once, I was organized (with my new transition bag!) and we camped on site. Janie opened up her camper as a our temporary home which was a huge blessing (no long port-o-pot lines for me!) 

Taking in the view as the pre-race meeting was taking place...
Of course I wanted a pre-race picture with the dog :)
Hanging out at the swim start.
No warm-up, but instead took extra time to make sure I was fully relaxed and ready to roll! I headed down to the water only moments before the start. The horn blasted and we were off, and I surprisingly found myself swimming comfortably and smooth despite the chaos of 75 swimmers starting at once and aiming for the same buoy. I focused on getting out of the pack, taking quick strokes and swimming straight (in the right direction...that helps too!)

Wave 2: Age Group Women 1-39, starting the swim!
It was a choppy swim, and my body seemed to bounce up and down with each wave as I tried to make steady forward progress. While a river swim is my least favorite and typically produces a lot of anxiety, I stayed calm and found a solid rhythm. After about twenty minutes I remember feeling a bit bored thinking, "is this thing EVER going to end?" I looked at my watch (20 minutes in) and took a quick look around and I was still no where near the shore. Nonetheless, I focused on one stroke at a time and on getting back to shore!

Swim finish... this time T1 went much faster without a wetsuit to deal with...
I've had this aero helmet for about 5 years and used it for the first time in this race. Mainly because it fits better and more comfortably than all my other helmets!
I was slow to get moving on the bike, yet tempted to track down all the racers in front of me asap. I was good and resisted, aiming to ride strong and steady while slowly increasing my effort as the miles ticked by (warming up certainly helped). Since it was an out and back course, I tried to count the number of female racers in front of me, but honestly, there were too many and I lost track! It's easy to get caught up in judging performance on that of others, but instead I opted to focus on my own race and in putting forth the best effort possible. Again, I didn't see the point in judging the quality of my race on a numerical outcome. Competition varies, and I was up against some pretty fast ladies! Overall, I really enjoyed the bike course, even with the "hills," which weren't bad compared to those in Southwest Virginia...

I enjoyed the novelty of running along the ocean!
The run started off well, but never really took off. I actually didn't have the "jello" sensation that normally occurs in running off the bike, which is a GREAT sign. And while I had hoped there would be some ladies close by for me to chase down, instead I had the fortune of getting stuck in "no-man's land."

I felt steadfast and strong during the run, but just I couldn't seem to find that extra "racing" gear that I had hoped for. It was hot and sunny and the wet towels and cheers provided by the volunteers were a godsend! Thank you volunteers! 

Same deal. I loved running along the water!
I know I could have run faster in that run, but on this day I was lacking the racing mentality to achieve it. Racing the 10k at the end of a triathlon is very different than racing a 10k or any road race by itself, and that's something I will aim to improve upon with each race. Having three sports in one to master in triathlon presents plentiful opportunities for improvement, and the desire to improve that keeps us motivated and moving forward. While I could be disappointed with my run, I'm instead looking at it as motivation to continue to work hard. Racing is not always about the final outcome, but instead, and opportunity to identify areas of strength, areas of improvements and the lessons learned along the way :)

Right before the finish line.
At the end of the day I finished with an overall time of 2:34:55, 19th female overall and 3rd place in my age group. Again, those are just numbers and don't mean too much to me right now. I have a solid base of fitness and am looking forward to building upon it in the coming months. I am committed to the process: to each week of training that will make me a better triathlete overall, to the small details of life that will keep me healthy and happy throughout, to developing the mental skills I will need to race even longer distance triathlons in the future. I'm excited to be back out in the triathlon-scene, and it should be a fun ride ahead with plenty of challenges along the way.

Our little family hanging out post-race :)
Kenya modeling my new transition mat... I'd say they picked the right color! 
Celebrating properly post-race! A little indulgence does the body good...

One thing that I love about racing (training also) is that it provides a platform to learn more about oneself, and more specifically, about one's strengths and weaknesses. We all have things we are great at and things that we desire to improve upon. The important thing is to remain positive and optimistic and remember at the end of the day that we're all unique and we're all "a work in progress."

Wishing you a happy and successful weekend of training!

2 comments:

  1. Love how your shoes, bag, and mat all match!! It was meant to be. I too forgot how much harder it is to run after a swim and a bike, let alone after the trip across the country and back you just returned from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cort, yea, definitely a challenging to race when already a bit fatigued... whether I realized it or not. Congrats on your race too!

      Delete

Follow by Email