Monday, June 16, 2014

When Life Gives You Lemons...

You make a kale salad... duh!

Not quite following my logic there? Me neither, but that's okay.

So it's been 3 weeks since my last blog post...oops :) Life's been a bit busy, and more recently, very tiring. Earlier this week I thought I was finally feeling "better" and was tapering towards the Varmit 1/2 Marathon, which I was suppose to have run this past Saturday. But, sadly I paid a lovely visit to urgent care the night before never made it to the starting line :(

I have a fun thing called Pleurisy (or Pleuritis), an inflammation of the lung tissue. I had never heard of it before, but now I most certainly know what it is! People have told me it's painful and I would agree. Radiating chest pains are no fun. I am short winded, easily fatigued and overall just plain weak. And bummed that I missed out on my race, or a beautiful weekend weather-wise that I could have spent training.

But when life gives you lemons, you make the best of it, right? So I made my favorite kale salad, thanks to a lovely gift of greens from my neighbor, and choose to spent the weekend resting, eating well and being productive in other ways. Have I mentioned how greens make me happy?! Such a dietitian type thing to say, huh?


I took full advantage of the forced rest to be productive in some computer work. I finished an Ironman nutrition plan for a friend (his first ironman, June 28th!) and kept on rolling to go ahead and plan out my own ironman nutrition plan. So now when I'm feeling better, I will have a set plan in place to start practicing and tweaking. Yay productivity!

I spent time chatting with my sister who will be running her first marathon AND racing a triathlon this fall. Go sis! She felt overwhelmed at the thought of balancing the two, so I took her marathon training plan and adapted it for some triathlon-based cross-training.

And I spent the majority of my Sunday writing an extensive lecture on enteral nutrition for the class I will be teaching this fall! Hours upon hours were spent reading evidence-based research guidelines, thinking about tube feeding formulas, complications and standards of care. Yea, I feel like a major nerd now. Just another day in the life of being an RD :D

On a different note, another "fun" mishap of the weekend: Our 50-galloon fish tank catastrophically failed...meaning there was a slow leak that went unnoticed by one very sick Kristen while the hubby was out of town. So "we" (meaning HE) discovered the damage when he returned Sunday afternoon. The positive? New flooring for the living room and laundry room! Oh the joys of homeownership, and thank God for insurance. 

So, no training for me this past weekend, but I did invest my time resting and being productive in other ways. I don't know how long recovery from this will take, but I am investing in my health and trying to stay optimistic. So next time life gives you lemons, take them and make something delicious! Would you like the Kale Salad recipe now?!


Ingredients (serves 1)
1-2 c fresh kale greens, stems removed
1/4 c. chickpeas (if canned, drained and rinsed)
1/4 c. edamame (if frozen, steamed and cooled)
1/4 fresh avocado, diced
A sprinkle of dried cranberries
Lemon zest, optional

Dressing
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1-2 tsp italian seasoning
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
Combine salad and dressing ingredients separately. Drizzle dressing over salad and garnish with fresh lemon zest (optional). Enjoy!

BTW-- homegrown kale greens > bagged kale greens. :D

Have a great week!


3 comments:

  1. Looked for you in the Garden Saturday, sorry to hear about the lungs. The weather was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it was SO perfect. Sad to miss it.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear that you've been sick. Hope you're feeling better. I had pleurisy once at the same time I had pneumonia. It was no fun!

    My hubby and I had thought about running the Varmint Half, but decided not to. I heard the weather was as gorgeous down there as it was here.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email