Saturday, May 10, 2014

Recipe: Cashew & Date Fuel Bites

I've talked a lot about what I eat day to day, but what about how I fuel during my training? As I move forward towards summer, training volume is expected to pick up. This weekend I have both an 80 minute run and 2.5 hour bike session on the agenda, both which will require some fueling throughout to get me through successfully!

With the rising temperatures, I definitely rely mainly on fluid calories to meet both my hydration and energy needs. But fluids alone get a little boring and I like to include some solid calories throughout! I've written before about how to pick out the best energy bar at the grocery store (see post here), which is a great and convenient option but often not the cheapest. More recently, I've been experimenting with making my own date-based energy bars from home and am LOVING the result. I have a few varieties I've made but today I am going to share the basic recipe which I adapted from Food52.


Ingredients

2 cups dates
2 cups cashews
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup dried tart cherries
(or dried fruit of choice)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 F and toast your cashews for approximately 5 minutes. Let cool before transferring to your food processor. Now toast your coconut for approximately 3-5 minutes (watch it so it doesn't burn!) and set side.

Meanwhile, blend your cashews to form a nut-based flour (note: thanks to friend Kati for the tip of doing this first!). Next, add your dates, dried tart cherries and pumpkin seeds into the same food processor and continue to blend until it becomes moist and starts to come together. Transfer mixture into a mixing bowl and fold in the toasted coconut by hand. Form into balls, or line a small baking pan with parchment paper and press into bars. Note, you may find it best to use a paper towel to absorb excess oil while pressing (naturally expressed from the cashews). Place in an airtight container in the fridge! These mini snack bites are packed with nutrients and concentrated energy and are naturally sweet...perfect for fueling any ride, run, pre-gym or just as a snack!

-------

To end this post, I have to give a huge shout out to the peeps of UltraVT. As the school semester comes to a close, many individuals are graduating and/or taking jobs that will be pulling them away from SWVA, including the team's co-founders Rudy and Guy. For those who are moving on: you will be missed tremendously! For those who are staying: I am looking forward to see where you take the team next! I had the opportunity to enjoy two great runs with the team this past week and I am thankful for both great runs and fellowship with friends.

Enjoying an end-of-semester team dinner at what I think is VaTech's BEST dining hall, D2, post-run on Thursday.

Have a great weekend, enjoy those workouts and fuel well!!!


1 comment:

  1. I should try making my own fuel to take on long runs and rides. So much more cost effective than buying pricey bars.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email