Monday, April 28, 2014

Recipe: Mason Jar Overnight Oats

This past weekend was the Promise Land 50k just outside of Lynchburg, VA. If you recall, I ran this last year and has not do much of a good day. This year I gladly watched from the sidelines, serving as crew for the hubby, bro-in-law and BFF and photographer for the Ultra VT team.

Pre-Race trying to wake up & stay warm!

Camping followed by a long day on the trails can make eating healthy difficult! Planning ahead is a must, otherwise I find myself over-munching on processed sweets out of boredom and sleep deprivation. 4AM wake ups are never easy, and this year I'm glad in remembered to bring my French press to make extra strong coffee pre-race. 

The night before the race, we were running behind and I had no clue what to pack for breakfast or lunch the next day. I typically enjoy oatmeal for breakfast but was unsure whether or not I would have access to a microwave at the campground (turns out there was!) To play it safe, I went the cold option and pulled together some overnight oats (recipe below). 



While chilly, it was a beautiful day spent along the Blue Ridge Parkway. We staged ourselves at Sunset Fields since the runners pass through there twice along the course. Since there was a large gap of time between the first and second passing of said runners, my sis-in-law, friend Devon and I took a short hike down to Apple Orchard Falls and back up (~2 miles round trip). I was certainly glad to be covering that terrain at a snails pace rather than suffering through it as I did the year before!!!

At the end of the day, UltraVT swept 3 of the top ten spots for the men and the hubby placed 15th despite having run a marathon 4 days earlier (he rocks!) My BFF and bro-in-law both finished their first PL50k with a huge smile on their face and I am so dang proud of them!!

First passing of Sunset Fields with 3 UltraVT runners (hubby in maroon) running together.
Just above Apple Orchard Falls, near the 30 mile mark. The hubby was taking his time and "enjoying the scenery" at this point =)
BFF Carrie finishes gushing with happy endorphins
The bro-in-law with his typical finish leap.
Happy finishers!
Post-race we enjoyed good food and company and lingered for quite a while before heading home. It was a gorgeous day to do so! We also dragged ourselves to the stream for a short recovery soak in the chilly water. Funny enough, I have an open water swim triathlon coming up this weekend which should be QUITE interesting. You can see here that I am not too fond of cold water!!


-------------------

Mason Jar Overnight Oats


Overnight oats are oats that have soaked overnight in a moist base rather than cooked and are typically eaten cold rather than hot. It's been a while since I've made them, but I was inspired by Miss Speedy Edie's recipe here. Overnight oats are awesome because they can easily be prepped ahead in a mason jar and stored in a cooler (or fridge) for convenient breakfast on the go!


Ingredients 
1 medium sized mason jar
1/2 cup oats, raw/uncooked
1 cup soy milk
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp chocolate protein powder (optional)
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp vanilla extract
Dash of cinnamon

Toppings
1/2 c. Fruit of choice
1 tbsp PB or almond butter (optional)
Agave nectar or honey, to taste
Nuts, dried fruit (raisins, craisins), dark chocolate chips or coconut shavings (optional)

Directions
Combine oats, milk, chia seeds, cocoa or protein powder and vanilla extract in your jar and stir to combine. Lastly, add your fruit of choice, diced small. I used strawberries but could have also used other berries or a half banana. I chose to stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter just prior to consuming, but this can be blended in ahead of time as well! Refrigerate overnight to soak (or 2 hrs minimum), the oats and chia seeds will absorb the liquid naturally. You can see that I prefer the chocolatey variety, but if that's not your thing then start with the oats-milk-chia seed base and personalize your flavor from there.

I'm a huge fan of LOVE Grown Foods lately. Check'm out here!

This mason jar breakfast worked perfectly for fueling up for a long day of crewing on the trails...but it's also great for any breakfast on the go! They say that oats "stick to the ribs" and it's true! The insoluble fibers kept me full until lunch despite it being an extra early morning, and the combo of protein + complex carbs kept sugary cravings at bay.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. I switch to cold overnight oats from hot oatmeal when the weather gets warmer.

    And your hubby is a beast!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email