Friday, March 7, 2014

National Nutrition Month: Spring Cleaning Your Menu

Spring is just around the corner... at least I hope!

We are doing our share of spring cleaning around the house. I just put away the remainder of our Christmas items AND all of our snowmen with hopes of creating good vibes for warmer weather. Looks like my efforts were successful?

Fresh snow prints this morning. Womp.


National Nutrition Month is all about "Enjoying the Taste of Eating Right."
What does that mean to you?


While making the effort to spring clean your house, don't forget about spring cleaning your menu too! No, that doesn't mean dieting to shed winter weight. To me 'spring cleaning' involves freshening up recipes by incorporating more whole foods and fresh produce, re-stocking the pantry with healthy staples, making efforts to make sure I'm staying well-hydrated and finding new ways to add flavor and taste to my menu without compromising nutrition. Also, with spring planting just around the corner, now is the time to make a plan for our garden this summer!

Right now my pantry is looking like this:

Before (left) and After? (right)
Organization is NOT my strong point. Really. The pantry has been a disorganized mess since we moved in, partially because it's pretty small and mostly because I just haven't put the thought or energy in to stocking it properly. Finding a more effective organization system and restocking with healthy essentials is definitely on my spring cleaning 'to-do' list!

Meanwhile I am experimenting with a number of new recipes that are more light and fresh for spring. This includes a yummy falafel salad, colorful kale salad, homemade energy bars, breakfast pizza, parfaits, spring rolls, etc. I hope to share them with you all soon!

Breakfast pizza anyone?
Last year we invested a lot into our container garden but this year I *hope* to have a larger garden since we actually own land to dig up. I will admit I have a black thumb though, so hopefully the hubby will lead the way with this one ;)

I'm taking my winter coat to the dry cleaners and putting away my winter 'attire' with hopes warmer weather will be here to stay SOON. Except, maybe it can wait until AFTER my marathon... I will gladly accept a crisp 40 degree day (with low wind?) for March 16th!!!

Current marathon day forecast: YES PLEASE!!!

What are you doing to get ready for spring? Don't forget to take time and celebrate NNM with a little dietary spring cleaning too!

1 comment:

  1. I'm getting ready for a nice garden this year too! Don't hesitate to ask me anything about organic gardening. Love to share.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email