Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Recipe: Veggie Stir Fry with Quinoa & Tofu

As mentioned in my previous post, I'm excited and finally motivated to get back into the kitchen cooking on a regular basis again. As time allows, of course, but somedays it's just easy for me to get swept away in cooking a meal and forget about the time. It's one of my favorite ways to unwind after a busy day: turn on some music...chop, chop, chop... dance around the kitchen some... and whip up something yummy! I'm really good at making a big mess in the process too :)

The other good news in my being back into my cooking habit is impending new recipes to share with you all!


Stir fry is one of my favorite go-to meals. Why this recipe hasn't been posted on here before now is beyond me! Over the past year, it's made almost a weekly appearance on my menu due to it's simplicity and versatility (two major criteria for me for most things food-related). It's simple to switch up the veggies included or choice of protein. I almost always make mine with tofu and edamame for protein, but sometimes we use Gardein brand beefless tips (the hubby's favorite). 

Ingredients

Veggies 
1 medium eggplant
1 bunch broccoli or 2 c. frozen broccoli florets
1 bell pepper (orange or red)
1 onion, diced small
1 garlic clove, diced
1 tbsp ginger, grated or diced
2 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
1/2 cup edamame (optional)

Quinoa 
1 cup quinoa, dry
2 cups water

For Protein
1 pkg firm tofu*
1/2 cup edamame

For flavor
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1/2-1 tsp chili garlic sauce
1 tbsp peanut satay sauce
1 tbsp braggs liquid aminos or lite soy sauce

*Feel free to substitute ~5-6oz meat of choice

Instructions

Boil 2 cups of water in a small pot. Add the quinoa and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Set aside.

Divide up your tofu into 1" cubes. Saute over medium high heat until golden, stirring occasionally to brown all sides then set aside. Meanwhile, dice up your broccoli, eggplant, pepper. Warm frying pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil or coconut oil. Add your onion, garlic and ginger and saute for ~1 min. Add your remaining vegetables and saute about 5 minutes. Add your sauces and tofu and saute 2-3 more minutes to allow the flavors to combine and veggies to soften. Serve over a bed of quinoa and enjoy! Yields 4-5 Servings.


Portion size tip: I use anywhere from 1/2-1c. quinoa with 1c. veggie mix depending on my appetite :)

Time saver tip: Cut up the veggies and cook the quinoa in advance to cut down on cooking time for busy nights!

Hopefully I'll have more recipes to share in the coming weeks! Stay warm friends!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! We do that a lot too, but I find we're repeating the same few veggies pretty often. Eggplant, edamame, and tofu? we'll have to work that in too. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email