Saturday, February 1, 2014

Little Victories: February

After reflecting a bit on my 2013 season, I realized that a year is quite a long time when it comes to training and racing! I recently took time to scroll back through and read my workouts for 2013, which was wonderfully enlightening in many ways. To see the ups and downs of training, the progress I've made along the way, all the fun workouts! Makes me very excited for what's in store for 2014. 

One new thing I'd like to do this year is to make monthly goals to break my larger goals into more manageable pieces and share them with you all. These are intended to be more action-based rather than results-oriented, so as to provide stepping stones along the way to achieving something bigger. Every step forward is a step closer towards where I'm going, and why not celebrate the journey as well as the end goal? That way I have 'little victories' that I can aim for and celebrate each month and to make the destination a little more attainable. Many goals will be training related, some nutrition related, and I'll probably include a few 'life' goals too :) Obviously I'm a bit late on January, so here are my successes for January and goals for February:

January Successes:

  1. Putting many of my ideas in writing a taking first steps to make them happen. January has been very much about brainstorming and getting organized in the form of making lists, schedules, calendars, binders, etc. I'm taking steps to "work smarter, not harder," which will hopefully go a long ways in terms of time management and stress levels in 2014!
  2. Packing lunches again on a regular basis... thanks to a little motivation from a new lunch bag from a friend, and a kick in the rear from the hubby who wanted lunches again too :)
  3. Getting back into the gym and putting in some quality workouts. I still have much work to do but it's a good first step in that respect.

February Goals:

  1. Get to bed on time (~10pm). After an exhausting week, sleep for sure needs to be bumped up on my priority list.
  2. Continuation of quality strength workouts at least 2x/week. I'm hoping to work in an additional home core session weekly too.
  3. Green smoothie daily! Usually it's my second breakfast and I just love the early dose of greens and the energy boost it provides + the extra calorie boost. Perfect for a busy girl on the run.
  4. Stretch daily. Even if only for 5 minutes, some is better than none! Foam rolling too would be a plus.
  5. Drink 50+oz water daily. I spend the morning drinking coffee then get busy at work and forget to drink water otherwise... I need to work on being consistently hydrated.
  6. Elbows up! (in regards to swimming...doh... gotta get this through my head ;)
Pictured here with one of my favorite magnets :)

My mini goals are posted on the fridge alongside my athlete training plan, providing a bit of long-term and short-term perspective to get me motivated through the harder days!!

How are you staying motivated through the winter ? What are some of your goals this month? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email