Thursday, October 31, 2013

Time To Celebrate!

It's been a looooooong season. For realz people! I haven't stop with consistent training/running in over a year, because after the Richmond Marathon last fall I just kept on building. To date I've counted 15 runs of 20+ miles in my training log for 2013... that's a lot and doesn't even include those weekends I did back to back long runs.

This season has seen a lot of growth, a lot of happy days and a fair share of setbacks, obstacles, and days where I'm reminded that I can't do it alone. I can't help but feel as if God is slowly molding me into a more mature adult and athlete, teaching me to rely on Him and that all things are possible with persistence, hard work and a lot support and prayers!


The past 6 months have been building towards one race: the Mountain Masochist Trail Run (MMTR) 50 Miler. Yup, FIFTY miles! On countless occasions I've questioned why I would sign up for such a distance, especially one with the word "masochist" in the title. But it all boils down to stepping outside my comfort zone, experiencing new things, pushing myself as an athlete and celebrating the gift of having a healthy, able body. As race day approaches, I'm happy to report the decision feels right.

I am thankful to have made it through the training process unscathed: no side-lining injuries, no burnout, no quitting and deciding trail running isn't for me. I am thankful the lessons I've learned, the quality time I've spent with the hubby out on the trails and the countless friends I've made along the way.

That being said, I'm looking forward to Saturday being a long celebratory run through the beauty that is the Blue Ridge Mountains. A celebration of the countless hours of hard work and training, of those who have graciously supported me in this journey (hubby, dad, coach and countless friends), of the awesome trail running community that I've come to know and finally a celebration of the fact that the body can accomplish SO much more than we think it can! One other big thing I'm looking forward to: witnessing the sunrise over the mountains and relishing in the fact that each day is new and an opportunity to do something great.


I have one main goal for this race: finish within the time limit with a big 'ol smile on my face (though tears of joy might suffice too :) Anything above and beyond will be icing on the cake... and you better believe I will be enjoying some cake (german chocolate please) after this race!

FB friends: If you're interested in following along on Saturday, my crew will hopefully be posting a few updates throughout the day (cell service pending). Otherwise, have a great weekend and see you on the flip side!!

Let's Do This!!


2 comments:

  1. Good luck! Go out there and knock those miles down. I did a 40 miler on trails last year in GA and it was balls crazy. Ultra runners are the best people in the world, enjoy the company and the environment and the trails, and just have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It should be a good 'ol time!

      Delete

Follow by Email