Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Recipe: Cashew Almond Butter

It's been a good week and there's a lot of excitement in our household... I'll tell you why shortly!

But first, a few scenes from the week...


Last Wednesday was my first night run of the fall. I joined the VT Ultra Running Team for a 75 minute jaunt through the woods around 7:30pm, it was pitch black by the time we reached the top of the first climb. It was a blast and quite honestly, perfect therapy after hearing my bad news regarding Boston. This past spring I was terrified of night running but the group makes it fun, and it turns out these mountains are a whole lot easier to climb when you can't see them!


Friday afternoon I enjoyed a 20 mile ride through the valley. It was a gorgeous afternoon for it and this is just one of the many picturesque views along the route. I love where I live, I love being back on my bike and I love the fall air!



The weekend featured back-to-back long runs, Saturday was on road and Sunday on trail. I tried out these Injinji socks for the first time and loved them. Cozy, comfy and kept my feet dry!



Also, did you know this past Sunday was National Coffee Day?! Laying on the deck, stretching and sipping on pumpkin flavored coffee was the perfect recovery from my morning run. 

Okay, now for the news... the hubby is running 100 miles this weekend! We'll be venturing up to Staunton, VA where he'll take place in the 6th running of the Grindstone 100 (though, this is currently pending based on the outcome of the government shutdown). It starts 6pm Friday and I'll be crewing alongside 8 other friends, which means I might actually (hopefully) get some sleep through the night. I plan on running a portion of the final 50 miles with him, which will be good training for me as well. I'm pretty excited for him and to see a few other fellas from the VT Ultra Team dominate the race. They've been training hard!

Finally, without further ado:

I've been making my own almond butter for months now and quite simply it rocks! Much cheaper and more delicious than store bought, and you can flavor it however you want. I love Kroger's cinnamon roasted almonds so they're always central in my recipe. All you need is a food processor or high quality blender!


Ingredients:


1 lb bag cinnamon roasted almonds

1 lb bag cashews

1 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil

Directions:


Place ingredients in food processor and process for up to 5 minutes until smooth. If possible, drizzle the olive oil while the processor is running. Viola!


Better be prepared to eat some when you make this! It's best warm right after processing.


Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Yum! I bet the cinnamon flavor tastes amazing in with the almonds & cashews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't have Kroger where I am (bummer, liked them in places I used to live). Why add oil? I see some nut butters doing this but I prefer not to. Would it work ok without?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it would work fine without the extra oil, just a personal preference. I like the extra creaminess it adds!

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see how your hubby and the other VT ultra-runners do!

    The cashew almond butter sounds pretty darn good! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, unfortunately right now the race is suspended due to the government shut-down. We found out this afternoon. Hopefully everything turns around so they can race!

      Delete

Follow by Email