Saturday, September 14, 2013

Recipe: Tempeh Tacos

I haven't had the opportunity to say much about the random triathlon addition to my racing schedule that took place last weekend. It was SO much fun... I had a blast and really enjoyed being out there again! Since I probably won't write a full report on it, here's a quick recap: the swim went better than expected, the bike was chaotic/crazy but a blast and the run tough/fast/much too short! I placed 2nd in my age group against a pretty competitive field and won a wine glass and bottle of Williamsburg Winery white wine. I got to see a ton of people I've missed this year and hang out with my family...Not a bad day! 

A few of my favorite race day pics... I was all smiles!
Shortly after finishing.
The next 7 weeks will be spent in final prep for my 50 miler! That means a lot of long runs and even maybe double long runs on the weekend. With the cooler fall temperatures finally rolling in, I'm really looking forward to them! Running in the fall... in Blacksburg... it really doesn't get much better than that :)

This past week has been spent catching up with work and since we were out of town on the weekend, I didn't have the chance to prep food ahead of time. Busy weeks means cooking gets a whole lot simpler in our household. I stick to the basics and recipes that are quick to throw together, versatile and make for easy leftovers. This is definitely one such recipe! It's a regular in our house and I've been meaning to share for a while now, so here you go!



Ingredients

  • 2 (8-ounce) packages tempeh
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 -15oz can or 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes 
  • 1 jalapeƱo, seeds removed and diced
  • 1/4 c. Bragg's liquid aminos or soy sauce
  • 1 small red onion, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 2 tsp adobo seasoning
  • 6-8 hard or soft taco shells

In a large bowl, crumble or use a knife to cut your tempeh into small pieces (aim for the same consistency as any ground meat). Add the remainder of your ingredients and spices and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight to allow the flavors to combine.

Prepare a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil cooking spray. Add your tempeh mix and saute up to 10 minutes, until browned. Suggested toppings include: mixed greens, cheese of choice, avocado or guacamole, steamed corn, salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, black olives and lime wedges!

This dish is great for dinner guests because everyone can prepare their tacos according to their own individual liking (our friends know this!) I always throw the leftover together in the form of a taco salad! For the salad, I like to pair the cooked marinated tempeh with mixed greens, quinoa, guacamole, salsa and a sprinkle of vegan cheese and tortilla chips on the side!

Taco salad anyone?

1 comment:

  1. I did the Patriot's Half a few years ago and loved it. Great job in the sprint! That is usually a really competitive field, so taking an AG award is no small feat. Well done!

    Those tacos look great too. I'll have to give that a shot soon.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email