Saturday, September 7, 2013

Recipe: Beet & Citrus Salad

Lazy Saturday mornings in the 'burg... they can't be beet! (get it? haha) More so when the crisp cool air of fall is on the horizon and it's game day! This morning I had the rare opportunity to sleep in, slowly enjoy breakfast followed by coffee and a leisurely walk to our farmer's market. Talk about a slice of heaven! Fall veggies are starting to make their way into the produce bins and downtown was busier than normal with the additional game day crowd. I love just sitting on a bench and people watching. Game day visitors are always so friendly and kind!


One root veggie we've been getting a lot of lately in our farm share is beets, and up until this week I just didn't know what to do with them. The greens can be easily chopped up and added into stir fry or sometimes I'll put them in my green smoothie, but the beets themselves take a little more work. The other night while baking a lasagna I finally remembered to pop a few in the oven and an hour later I had a handful of roasted beets at my disposal. Some I chopped up and ate as is, the rest went into this salad:

Beet & Citrus Salad

Serves 1

1 large oven-roasted beet, diced 
1 orange, skin removed and sectioned
1 cup salad mix of choice 
1/2 cup fresh edamame
1/4 avocado, diced

Optional toppings: pumpkin seeds, feta cheese

To roast the beets: chop off the greens/stem and rinse well. Rub lightly with olive oil and place in an oven-safe baking dish or baking sheet. Roast at 375 F for approximately 1 hour. You be the judge depending on how soft you want them!

For the salad: Mix together the beets, orange sections, edamame and avocado over the bed of greens (bonus points if you use the beet greens!) Reserve one section of orange and squeeze the juice over your salad. Add a drizzle of olive oil as desired. Ta da! That's it.

This can be lunch or a light dinner or even a side, your choice. I love the bright colors, especially since they're somewhat orange and maroon! :)

More orange and maroon veggies from the farmer's market :)
Next week I'll post my tempeh taco recipe... I know a few people have been waiting for it and it's perfect for football season! Speaking of which, did I mention it's game day? Go Hokies!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email