Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Recipe: Sweet Potato Almond Oatmeal

Oatmeal has always been my go-to breakfast before long runs and races. It's rich in carbs yet light on the stomach and will stick with me for hours (in a good way!). This past weekend I had a 3+ hour long run on the schedule and I knew I was going to need some serious pre-fuel to get me through it. I decided to up the ante a bit with some baked sweet potato that I already had on hand and I'm loving how it turned out. Not only was this delicious, the sweet potato + oatmeal + chia combo really helped to keep my energy levels stable so I could power through my run. And who doesn't love that?


[Makes 1 Serving]

1/2 -2/3 cup oatmeal, dry
1/2 medium sweet potato, cooked, skin removed
1 tbsp chia seeds
1-2 tbsp almond/peanut butter
Honey or agave nectar, as desired

Cook oatmeal according to directions, then mix in the sweet potato. You can mash it all together, but I decided to dice the sweet potato and put on top. Add your chia seeds and PB, combine and enjoy! A sprinkle of cinnamon as desired :)

How do you like to dress up your oatmeal?

2 comments:

  1. Oh sweet potatoes - paired with almond butter, well it is a winning combo. I love saving an almost empty nut butter jar and filling it with a baked sweet potato :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a winning combo! I've been having PB + sweet potato too, as an afternoon snack... How wonderfully delicious!

      Delete

Follow by Email