Sunday, May 5, 2013

Tofu, Spinach & Artichoke Scramble

After a busy April and last weekend's Promise Land 50k, I was relieved to have a weekend to sit around and do nothing. Really, it was amazing to just lie around and decompress a bit... everyone needs that from time to time! That being said, I did take advantage of a yard sale near by and took a stroll to the farmer's market to pick up our first CSA share! The yard sale proved to be fruitful: I picked up a bunch of Hokie household goods for way cheaper than retail, all which were brand new! My favorite find, this VT tiffany lamp for $20 (normally retails for over $100!)

VT is slowly taking over our house, which is fine :D
Anyway, I don't know why but lately I've been hooked on artichokes. I could put them on just about anything. And since giving up eggs, I've been searching for a suitable alternative to my beloved breakfast scramble. I dare say this scramble exceeds any egg combination I've made in the past. The tofu takes on the flavor of the other ingredients and pairs well with the creamy texture of avocado. 

I've been eating this most mornings alongside my green smoothies. A double dose of greens for breakfast makes for a great start to the day :D


Tofu, Spinach & Artichoke Scramble

1 package frozen spinach (10oz)

1 can artichoke hearts (14.5oz)

1 package firm tofu

1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (I used daiya brand: dairy free)

1/4 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)

1 tsp garlic powder

Oregano seasoning and pepper, to taste

In a large bowl, mash the tofu with a fork. Combine with thawed spinach and roughly chopped artichoke hearts. Mix in the flavorings: the aminos, garlic powder, cheese and spices.

Measure out 1 cup and saute over medium-high heat just as you would scrambled eggs. I like mine paired with some avocado toast!

Almost looks like eggs... not quite though.

I'm sure you could substitute eggs for the tofu, I just haven't tried. One batch of this will get me through the entire week which definitely makes for easy mornings. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. OMG I wish I had been at that yard sale! I would have fought you for the lamp :-)

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email