Thursday, May 2, 2013

Rest, Recovery and the Next Big Goal...

It's now been four days post-50k and all considering I'm feeling pretty good! A bit tired, but working overtime the past 3 days has certainly not helped with that.

The mental fatigue from the weekend made for a rough Monday at work. Not only was I exhausted, I had about zero brain power to tackle the long list of tasks that welcomed me after a 3 day weekend. The result? I was there 10 hours for what probably should have taken 6. Oh well. That evening, I was able to unwind with a sunset walk with the pup and husband and it was truly the best way to loosen up my legs. Never mind that the view was incredible:

Sun setting over the mountains. I <3 Blacksburg.

Tuesday I went for a morning swim. I used to hate the water, but for some reason I find it therapeutic these days? It wasn't a productive workout but splashing around was fun. That evening we enjoyed another short stroll this time with a little fro-yo treat.

I kept it healthy-ish with sorbet, fruit and granola.

By the time Wednesday rolled around I was SO excited to run. The sun was shining and I really just wanted to be outside and moving, no matter the pace. And of course no recovery is complete without signing up for a new race... so yesterday I bit the bullet and signed up for my first 50 miler and the final stop in the Lynchburg Ultra Series:

Mountain Masochist Trail Run (November 2, 2013)

I'm glad I waited to look at the elevation profile until AFTER I signed up. Yea, feeling a bit terrified right now:

The husband and I are suppose to run together which should be fun! My dad will serve as my crew too (though I;m not sure he knows that yet, haha). It will be my longest race ever, likely 9+ hours. On the bright side, this will make Boston feel like a walk in the park... At least I hope? I guess it doesn't really matter at this point... Fun times ahead...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email