Thursday, April 4, 2013

Time Well Spent

Over the past month or so, I've spent a good amount of time reflecting on how I spend my time.

It began with our small group bible study reflecting on ways we "quiet ourselves" for God. It's hard to do when life is crowded with a million other things to do. I feel like American society stresses productivity and for many people, including myself, self-worth is tied into accomplishments, involvement in activities and generally staying busy. It's an easy trap to fall into!

While I love my life, my job, my friends, family and running, there have been many days in recent weeks when I simply felt like I was suffocating. It took a while for me to realize, but I eventually broke down and admitted I had too much on my plate. I joke sometimes about wishing I could have clones to accomplish everything I'm interested in doing, but the reality is I'm just one person. This is where its important to not just have priorities, but to act on them:

My Priorities:

(1) God
(2) My husband, family and friends
(3) Running and others goals
(4) Work, career goals
(5) Hobbies

It took me essentially hitting a wall to realize I needed to slow down. I was dragging myself out of bed to work, only to come home and want to sleep some more. I had becoming increasingly grumpy from constantly being on the go, my workouts and eating habits were suffering, my performance at my full-time job was suffering... My husband is so patient and loving but I knew at the end of the day he was getting the short end of the stick. At that point I knew it was time to bite the bullet and let go of a few things.

As stubborn as I can be, it's not easy for me to quit, especially activities I love and enjoy. Reality is, as hard as I may wish, there will only ever be 24 hours in my day. My desire to do it all will always fall short because I am human, I am flawed and I am only one person. My decision to give up a few extra things on my plate has not been an easy one: I've felt tremendous anxiety, guilt and discontent. I know in the long term, however, I know it is best for the sustainability of my health and happiness, my marriage and my relationship with friends and family.

So you may be wondering: what does this have to do with nutrition or fitness?

Taking care of yourself (your health) should be a top priority.

There will be times when it's necessary to say no.

Having the time and energy to take care of yourself will allow you to more effectively take care of your family, do a better job at work, be a better athlete, etc.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to having more time to spend with this guy:


Oh, and of course this little one:


And to me, that is time well spent.

2 comments:

  1. YES! I don't know if it is a dietetics thing/Type A personality but I feel like this all. the time. I feel like I am never doing enough - trying to get good grades, gain clinical experience, work, train for races and have a social life. Sometimes you just need a veg day of doing nothing productive what so ever haha.

    PS I think I saw you and your husband walking downtown last night. You were representing hokies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kailey-- I think it's a type A thing and the dietetics field tends to attract folks like us. I thought my type A days were behind me but I guess not really. So funny you saw us downtown! we were eating out Sushi!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email