Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Southwestern Black Bean & Quinoa Salad

It's spring in Blacksburg and I'm soaking up every moment of it. Along with it being almost perfect running weather, I'm enjoying relaxing out on our deck, potting some flowers and starting a little patio vegetable garden (more on that later). 
The pup is loving the weather too!

I feel like it's been forever since I've posted something food related or a recipe, so today I'm sharing with you my favorite salad. With the warming temperatures, my diet has transitioned to more spring-summer like foods and this non-traditional salad is back in my daily rotation. I've been eating this for a few years now and it's a major reason why I eventually decided to transition to a plant based diet.

(serves 1)


Ingredients:

2 cups mesclun salad mix
1/4- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 avocado, diced
1 cup yellow squash, diced
1/2 black beans, rinsed and drained
1 -2 tbsp spicy hummus (or roasted red pepper hummus)
2 - 3 tbsp salsa
Splash of lime juice

I provided ranges for the ingredient servings because I tend to vary this based on my appetite and caloric needs for the day.

Directions:

Start by sautéing the yellow squash w/ a teaspoon of olive oil or cooking spray. Once lightly browned, add in the black beans and saute another minute. Top your mesclun mix first with the cooked quinoa, followed by the black bean and squash mixture, then the avocado. You can choose to add your salsa, hummus and lime juice separately or mix in a bowl together and drizzle over the entire salad (either way tastes delicious). Make sure you mix it all together well before eating!!

My favorite part of this salad: it's super quick to throw together for one or for many. 

Enjoy and happy spring!



To download/print or share a PDF version of this recipe, click HERE.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email