Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston On My Mind... Part 2

After joyfully tracking runners during the early hours of the Boston Marathon, it truly broke my heart to hear the news of multiple bombs going off at the finish line. I was at work at the time and my phone all of a sudden was filled with messages from friends concerning the events unfolding and worried that I was in Boston. In my mind, I thought about how this classic event is now marred by tragedy with 3 killed and dozens more severely injured. Then I thought about Newtown, Connecticut, Columbine, Aurora, Colorado... and of course, Virginia Tech... and how we truly live in a broken world.

Today, just one day after this "act of terror," happens to mark the 6 year anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings. I was a sophomore at the time and though you'll rarely hear me bring up the topic, it's something I will carry with me the rest of my life. Life is fragile, it's hard to know what tomorrow brings and when your life might change, forever.

It was a rough day of work as I tried to process everything running through my mind. My heart was (and still is) filled with grief for both my Virginia Tech family and my running family. I contemplated whether or not I should run this afternoon and now that it's over, I'm glad I did. The run, though much faster than it should have been, reminded me of what draws me to the sport day after day: Each day is a gift, not to be taken for granted. And for me, the joy of running and its therapeutic effects is one of life's greatest gifts. It's well known that the running community shares a special bond (just as us Hokies do) and I think that bond was clearly displayed by the many courageous acts that followed the bombings.
(L) The hubby, who ran Boston in 2011. (R) Virginia Tech Memorials.

In the words of my husband:

"I cling to the good memories with a white-knuckle grip, mourn my friends who were lost with my whole heart, and try so hard get up and keep running the race of life....like any runner would.

Keep running Blacksburg. Keep running Boston. My heart is with you."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email