Monday, February 25, 2013

Weekend Adventures: Running the Full Spectrum

I have a major case of the Monday's.

After reading this, you'll probably understand why. While it was another amazing weekend full of some fun things, I can't blame my body for being exhausted! Since everything was pretty neat in itself, I'll be writing a separate post for each. But here's a quick overview of my weekend running adventures:


While in Winchester for a dentist appointment for the hubby, I had the opportunity to have my VO2 max tested by one of his old professors. It's a neat experience but tough!!


The next morning (Saturday) we ran a 5k in the area (Front Royal, VA) where I FINALLY set a new 5k PR. My old PR has remained untouched for about 8.5 years, so that's a big deal for me!!


On Sunday, we hit up the Appalachian Trail for a quality (hilly) long run. I climbed 5400 ft in 20 miles, a new "personal record" in itself. Not bad for someone who has notoriously avoided any sort of elevation in the past!

After traveling Friday and Saturday follwed by Sunday's long run, we made our way to church and the weekend was over. Usually I take time on the weekend to grocery shop and do food prep, but this weekend I wasn't able to. That means this week of eating may involve clearing out the freezer... Not always a bad thing :)

In the mean time, I have this soup recipe for you:

Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Curry Soup


4 cups butternut squash (~1 butternut squash), diced small
4 cups sweet potato (~3 medium potatoes), diced small
1 cup leeks, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp coconut oil

4 cups vegetable broth
1 can (13.5oz) light coconut milk
2 squares of golden curry mix

In a large soup pot, saute leeks and garlic over medium heat w/ coconut oil for 2-3 minutes. Add diced sweet potato and squash and saute another 2-3 minutes. Add 2 cups vegetable broth and 1 can light coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes and squash have softened. Add the curry squares and stir until completely mixed. At this point, you can use a food processor or immersion blender to puree the soup, or you can enjoy it as it is.

Pairs well with some rice or foccacia bread !

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. That is a weekend! I'd have trouble keeping up with you two for one day, let alone on a regular basis. How do you plan to utilize the VO2 Max data in training/racing (if at all)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doran-- I plan to use the HR information mainly for training... I'll address all that when I write my post! I recieved so much information from it, data overload really!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job getting that 5K PR!!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email