Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Weekend Adventures: Snowy Trail Running

What I had planned to do and what I actually ended up doing this past weekend were quite different. The original plan was to head to my hometown for a much overdue visit with my parents and to run in a 25k race. But then a snow and ice storm rolled through Virginia on Friday afternoon, the race we'd planned on running was cancelled and thus we opted to stay in town. Sorry Mom & Dad!

That was ok though, because we were then able to take advantage of another "race" going on locally: The VT Ultra Team hosted a 50k trail run within a local trail system of the Jefferson Forest. It was a very low-key event: no entry, no support, no goodies... just a course and an invitation to cover the distance with others. With it being a two loop course, there was also the option to run either the first or second loop only. My husband ran the entire distance (he's still crazier than I am) while I opted to sleep in and run the 2nd loop only (~13 miles).

At the start of the 2nd loop, near Pandapas Pond.

Snow made for some treacherous but fun terrain!

One of many stream crossings
Don't you love my Hokie Hat??

With my first trail 50k of the year coming up in less than 2 weeks, this was a great experience of getting out there and running in less than ideal trail conditions. With the wacky weather we've been having these days, it's hard to tell whether the trail will be covered with snow or whether it will be 60 degrees!

Before I go, I want to share a recipe with you that I've been enjoying recently. Though I've been trying to eat more vegan, some days I really crave eggs and this has been my go-to recipe. It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare in the mornings and I feel great incorporating a heaping serving of greens into my first meal of the day.

Kale & Egg Breakfast Scramble

Pictured here paired with Ezekiel Toast and diced avocado

Ingredients
2-3 handfuls kale, washed and de-stemmed
1 tsp olive oil
2-3 eggs
1 tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce

Cheddar cheese (optional)



Directions
Prepare a medium-large saucepan by heating over med-high heat and using non-stick spray. Toss in kale and drizzle with olive oil. Stir occasionally for 4-5 minutes until kale begins to wilt. 

Once kale is almost cooked, move it to the side and re-spray the pan. Add your eggs, allow to cook for about a minute and then scramble them together with the kale. Add the Braggs Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce). Continue to scramble the entire mixture until eggs are done to your likeness. At this point, you can sprinkle with shredded cheese, salt & pepper if so desired.

This recipe is easy to adjust to your needs. If you want more kale, throw it in! If you'd rather use egg whites, go for it! I will often use a mixture of whole eggs and whites (1 whole eggs and 2 whites). The combination of greens and eggs will fill you up making this a great breakfast to kick start your day.

Until next time,



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email