Saturday, January 5, 2013

Real Eats - Fuel Yourself for Fitness & Health


Christmas and New Years have come and gone. Goodbye 2012, hello 2013! Where has the time gone??

January should be a pretty laid back month for our household. No trips planned, just working and training for some upcoming races in the following months. Right now my "marathon" training is in full gear - I've been putting in a lot of miles and some tough workouts along the way. I only just wish I had a marathon on my schedule! Right now I only have trail ultras on my schedule with a 50k in February, March and April. I've also been focusing more on cross training - mainly lifting for strength, but I also want to start swimming and biking again. Even if only occasionally because I really miss triathlon training!!

That's me in pink at a recent local 5k, the Frosty 5k. Came away w/ a $25 giftcard for 3rd overall female and a new long-sleeve running shirt. Not bad!
With all this training, my appetite has been in full gear as well. I'm pretty sure my officemate thinks I eat constantly (which I'm ok with, because I love to eat). One of my goals for 2013 is to experiment with more vegan recipes, so hopefully I'll be featuring more here!!

So anyways, back to the food! Here in Blacksburg our favorite restaurant to eat at is undoubtably Gillies. It features vegetarian cuisine, all very delicious and unique recipes with a very simplistic feel. Back in early December my in-laws visited and I took them there after the tree- lighting in town. It's been a while since I've dined there for dinner, so I decided to try their special, Tofu Gado Gado:

Tofu Gado Gado from Gillies in Blacksburg, VA

It was a smooth blend of zucchini, squash, broccoli, and red peppers served over a bed of spinach and rice with a creamy red thai peanut sauce. I liked it so much I recreated it a home a few days later, hopefully I can get my version of the recipe up on here soon!

Another popular dish in our house is tofu vegetable curry. Again, I don't have a specific recipe for you, so I'll have to add one soon! This curry features red potatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, squash, onions & broccoli over rice.
Tofu Vegetable Curry over Warm Rice
Breakfast in our house is always in a hurry and often times my husband takes his to work. These egg sandwiches have been popular because they're quick to put together and easy to carry. After frying an egg over med-hard I add a slice of provolone and let it melt. I then spread the bread with spicy hummus, top with the egg and cheese, mesclun mix or spinach, tomato and mustard (optional):
Egg & Cheese Breakfast Sandwich on Foccacia Bread
For a bite-sized splurge, we enjoyed these mini fruit pizza cookies on Christmas Day. They too are simple to throw together: Take sugar cookie dough, roll into balls and bake. Top with cream cheese mixture (whip 4oz cream cheese, 1/2 container whipped topping and 1/2 cup sugar). Garnish with your favorite fresh fruit (kiwi and strawberry were the main feature on ours in honor of Christmas, but blueberries, raspberries and bananas also work well!).

Fruit Pizza Cookies
When my both sets of family were visiting for Christmas, I needed a quick meal to feed 10 people without a mess. I love this Spinach Tomato Orzo Soup and paired it with homemade bread and salad:
Spinach Orzo Soup via . and fresh homemade bread via my bread maker!


Christmas Tree Salad via Lunchboxbunch.com
When my husband makes rice, he typically makes pounds of it. I used the leftovers to make up some lunches for him. This Chipotle, Black Bean & Corn Rice Bowl via Naturally Ella was a cinch to put together and went over well:



Finally, I leave you with my favorite recipe from this past month: Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Quinoa Chili via Ambitious Kitchen. Hearty, warm and full of fiber and protein. Easily a vegan recipe if you omit the yogurt/sour cream topping. Let's just say I'm glad I doubled this recipe for later!!



Do your New Year's goals include making healthier food choices? Plan ahead to make better choices when life gets busy (because it does). Double your portions and freeze half for lunches or the next week.

Have a great weekend and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email