Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Looking Ahead to 2013

2012 was a pretty AWESOME year. I really have no complaints. Here's a quick review:

In February Jordan and I ran the Holiday Lake 50k. I set a 75 min PR to finish 8th overall female, he was 10th overall male.

In March I ran the Rock n' Roll DC Marathon. I bonked hard, injured my foot and didn't achieve my goal of Boston qualifying. But I did still set a 20 minute PR.


In May I celebrated my 25th birthday (w/ a 25 mile run), graduated from my Dietetic Internship and we moved back to Virginia Beach for the summer.


In June I ran the Eastern Divide 50k and finished 3rd overall female.


August brought Joni & Friends Family Retreats, Jordan graduating from PT school and landing a job, followed closely by us moving back to Blacksburg. Running wise, I took the majority of August off (covering only 33 miles total for the month) while rehabbing some nagging hip pain, taking refuge from the unrelenting heat and figuring out our next direction in life.



In November I ran the Richmond Marathon, setting another PR and finally achieving my goal of Boston qualifying. Even better, one week later my dad qualified and two weeks later my husband qualified!! (We will look to run in 2014). I started a new job as a dietitian and we have been settling into life in a town we love.


In 2012 I also worked 25+ triathlons across Virginia and Maryland, moved 3 times, became a vegetarian and logged a record ~1700 miles of running (including 202 in December!). Needless to say, it's been a busy year!!!

What's in Store for 2013??

Since Richmond, I've continued with long-distance training and am feeling stronger than ever. I've also been working to rebuild my leg strength and rehab some chronic hip issues I've been battling since May. Looking ahead to 2013, Jordan and I recently decided (read: He convinced me) to complete a series of ultra-marathons known as the Lynchburg Ultra Series (me) and Beast Series (Jordan). For me, it will mean three 50k races in the spring months (Feb, Mar, Apr) and a 50 Miler in November. Jordan will run an additional 100 miler (Oct) and 100k (Dec). It'll be a unique experience, so we plan to chronicle our adventure through a different blog called 452 Miles & Counting. Hope you will check it out!!

I'm sure there will be a few other adventures along the way (maybe a triathlon or two??) In terms of "resolutions," I don't really have any set in stone. I do, however, have a few thoughts on what I'd like to do "more" and "less" of in 2013:

"More":

- Quality time with God, my husband and family. Because it's important to keep my priorities straight.

- Stretching & lifting - to improve my strength/flexibility and prevent injuries.

- Drinking water - because I am notoriously bad about this.

- Vegan meals - I'm not ready to be a strict vegan, but I love the idea of it and definitely want to incorporate more vegan meals into my everyday rotation.

- Sleep - this will mean spending less time in front of the computer at night and hitting the sack early!

- Focus on overall wellness!


"Less": 

- Traveling & eating out - because it's expensive!!

- Grazing - because somedays I feel like I am eating constantly. I'd love to kick this habit to the curb.

- "Doing" in general- my focus in 2013 is to do less but with greater commitment and intention.

2012 has been a great year and I'm continuously thankful for the blessed life I live. I can only hope that 2013 will be another year of loving life, working hard, living passionately and following my dreams. And THANK YOU to those that have continuously supported my endeavors. You are the best!!

What are your major athletic or health goals for 2013?? 





4 comments:

  1. What an awesome year 2012 was for you and I'm excited for your plans for 2013! That is some awesome mileage on top of so much change, and travel, and work. My goal is to stay health, and toward that I've been told that 2013 is the year I WILL learn to run "easy" when required!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it Cort! I think one of my greater accomplishments this year is really learning to love running. The miles come easy because I love being out there. The easy days have a lot to do with that and no doubt are what keeps it sustainable long term.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing up your Dietetic Internship!! That is a huge accomplishment - not to mention QUALIFYING FOR BOSTON!! That is on my running bucketlist...along with running a marathon in every state :)

    Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. woah, you are such a running inspiration! I ran the DC RnR in March too, thought about it this year but I think I'm going to wait until May to run my next marathon. Your races history this past year is amazing, you've totally got me inspired to go past the marathon into ultras :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email