Saturday, November 24, 2012

Dreams Do Come True!

Today my husband ran the NCR marathon near his hometown of Baltimore, MD. 
It was epically awesome... and here's why.


For one... a bunch of our friends were running. That's a great looking bunch!
Of that group, 4 people finished their first marathon and 5 set a new personal record.


Even better... my husband qualified for Boston!



 I forgot to mention that last weekend my dad ran the Philadelphia Marathon... and also qualified! Being the awesome father that he is, he drove up 5 hours just to watch the race (perhaps to see me as well). Together we drove around to the various aid stations to cheer on our friends. I was dubbed the "gu-queen" after bailing out 4 of them with some extra calories at the halfway mark. Dad enjoyed volunteering some by taking trash (empty cups) from racers.


Yup, that's me, my dad, and my husband... 3 weekends, 3 marathons, 3 boston qualifying performances!!

Richmond Marathon                                       Philadelphia Marathon                               NCR Trail Marathon
Running a marathon and going to Boston have been dreams of mine since I was a kid. Ever since I watched my dad first run the Boston Marathon in 1998 (I was 11 yrs old), I knew I wanted to someday return to run it with him. Now, I get to share the experience with the two people who helped me to get there! I have my dad to thank for my running roots and endless encouragement, and my husband to thank for pushing me to do more than I ever thought I would. It doesn't get much more special than that!

Someone made a comment today that we "made it look easy." Maybe so, but it's been a rough journey for each of us. It took us each 3 attempts to qualify (read about my first two attempts here and here). Running a marathon is never easy... covering the distance is a challenge in itself, not to mention all the things that could go wrong! I'm glad we stuck with it and our perseverance paid off. 

So... Boston '14 here we come!! 

What are your dreams? Whatever they are, I hope you stick with them!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email