Monday, May 21, 2012

Breakfast for Champions: Tofu, Egg and Spinach Scramble

Breakfast is my FAVORITE meal. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I enjoy the simplicity of the meal options? Anyways, this is a good thing because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, especially for athletes. This is a recipe I put together in an effort to get in a serving of vegetables in the morning. It packs in plenty of muscle-building protein, a full serving of vegetables and a hint of dairy. Throw this together on a Sunday evening and then enjoy- on the run - during mornings throughout the week.

Tofu, Egg and Spinach Scramble, Serves 3


Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg frozen spinach, thawed
  • 9 eggs, whites only
  • 3 servings of firm tofu (3/5th's pkg)
  • 1/4 c. feta cheese, crumbled
  • 3/4 c. salsa
  • 1 avocado




















Assembly:
  1. Separate egg whites into a bowl and set aside. Season with pepper or Mrs. Dash (optional)
  2. Prepare a saute pan with cooking spray, then add the spinach (thawed) and tofu
  3. Stir to mix and crumble tofu. When tofu is lightly browned, add egg whites and scramble.
  4. Lastly, when mixture is almost cooked, mix in the feta cheese.
Divide the scramble into three servings. Top with sliced avocado (1/4th avocado per serving) and salsa (1/4th cup). Enjoy with a piece of multigrain toast for a well-rounded breakfast rich in protein, healthy fats and fiber.

Be sure to stir frequently during the cooking process!

Delicious and filling too!

3 comments:

  1. I never cook with tofu, yet I do like it. This looks like a nice way to incorporate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristen!
    I'm Anna, a fellow RD-to-be, fitness fanatic, and blogger. Cortney gave me your name/blog this past weekend after the Salem Sprint Tri. I remember meeting you at this years VDA conference. Love the blog so far...think you'll keep it up?! If so, I'll be following!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna! Thanks for following! I'm working on an update now. I do intent to grow the blog, just have been traveling a lot lately. I also didn't realize until this weekend so many people were looking for me to update, lol. And yes, I do remember you from the VDA conference :)

      Delete

Follow by Email